Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Looking at The National Educational Technology Standards

When looking at The National Educational Technology Standards, there are two performance indicators that I know I can improve upon in a physical education setting. To do this I will use Dr. Katherine Cennamo’s GAME plan (Laureate 2009).
G-Goals
A-Actions
M-Monitor
E-Evaluate

The first indicator I would improve in my classroom is 1. Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity. This indicator is important to helping my students develop their 21st century skills and I do not do a good enough job of fostering this. The action I could take is to do more critical thinking physical activities that require group effort and interaction. Such as moving students from point A to point B while meeting certain criteria, or getting everyone over a rock climbing while using all the tools that I supply. These were activities that I did in college that I know would help my students. I could monitor my growth by charting how many times a semester my students are able to engage in these type of critical thinking activities to make sure I am incorporating them often. I can evaluate my growth through students’ feedback and suggestions.

The second indictor I would like to look at is 2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments. My students love tying in technology and I have only begun to do this through use of blogs, etc. I would like to use flip video cameras to help students in my weightlifting class use better form when lifting weights. We could use these videos to critique each other and assess performance. I would monitor this by looking at the footage for productive participation. Lastly, I would evaluate the integration of this indicator into my classroom by using the web to see what else teachers in physical fitness are using flip videos for to see if I could integrate them more.

Resources:

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas. Baltimore: Author.

www.iste.org

9 comments:

  1. Joel,

    You know, it is interesting that when people learn of your goal to obtain a degree involving technology in the classroom, they probably wonder how that could possibly be used in a physical education setting. It is amazing, however, how seamlessly the two go hand in hand.

    You mention that one of your goals is to incorporate flip cameras in your weightlifting class to help students improve their form. I think this is a great idea. I have a flip camera that I try incorporating into my lessons as much as possible. The kids love filming each other and they love seeing themselves on tv even more! Perhaps you could post your weightlifting footage to a class webpage or a school website. It is amazing how many schools use footage of students in action to help promote their school or to recruit athletes to come join their program. Perhaps footage of your weightroom and athletes using these facilities would lead to an increase in athletic participation, which is always a good thing. I would think that having such a flexible curriculum as phys. ed. seems to have that you could easily achieve your goal of incorporating the use of more technology.

    I wish you luck with your endeavors!

    ~ Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,

    I can't tell you how much I appreciate your comments and seeing the common thread in what I am trying to do. Truthfully I feel as though my content area is often ridiculed and on top of that no one sees the connection as to why I am earning this degree. I coach two sports also and so I like what you suggested about recruitment videos and really showing off our facilities.

    Thank you.

    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joel,

    I think student opinion is a critical piece missing in our current educational setting. Prensky supports this idea by placing student input as a top priority on his list for principals (Prensky, 2008). Have you given any consideration to creating an online survey for your students to complete as part of the evaluation phase of the creative thinking component?

    Julie

    Reference

    Prensky, M. (2008). Turning On the Lights. Educational Leadership, 65(6), 40-45. Retrieved from Education Research Complete database.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie,

    That is ironic. I am currently taking another class with Walden with Dr. Calvin through which we just conducted our own online survey for our students. I had never done anything like this and really enjoyed it. My list gets longer of applicable tools I would like to use this upcoming school year. For this assignment I used survey monkey. Are you familiar with it? It was very easy.

    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joel,
    I love that you are utilizing flip cameras as a source of assessment. Not only does it provide you with information, but it also gives the students a mean to evaluate themselves. This is incredibly powerful! Professional athletes watch video footage, so why shouldn't your students? It is great that technology can be used in every area of education.
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joel, I like your idea to use Flip cameras in your classroom. I have used them in the past and the student LOVE them. To expand on that, I created a YouTube account that I upload school videos on. My students say that they love going home and showing their parents the video they created in school. As a collaboration tool, it does not get any better. Students know ahead of time that their video will be put on the world wide web and they become a little more motivated to create a video to share with the world. YouTube also allows comments so that you could see what people are saying about each other's videos. It also provides a way to show administrators, parents, and the community the great 21st century learning that is going on in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erika,

    I totally agree that it has been invaluable in my classroom so far. I think it helps give my students a competitve edge also.

    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Casey,

    Great ideas. How do you deal with keeping your student's identities private? I can't upload my videos due to the fact that I am directly recording them. Right now it really is only a resource for my classroom.

    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joel,

    We have several universities near where I teach. Most of the doctoral students use us teacher as survey guinea pigs. Survey Monkey is the one I find most common. However, I have not used it yet. My former principal used one through Google. Either one was user friendly.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete