Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Carrying out my GAME plan


To review, I am currently earning my master’s degree in Integrating Technology into my Classroom, which for me is a physical education setting. More often times than not people are quick to criticize how I am possibly making this connection. However, when I started this program over a year ago, my reasoning was that I am always going to need to know how to use technology no matter where I go in life and so here I am. Currently I am looking at Dr. Katherine Cennamo’s GAME plan, which stands for:
G-Goals
A-Actions
M-Monitor
E-Evaluate (Laureate 2009)
Currently, my GAME plan is to strive to improve upon two indicators. I would like to meet the National Standards by helping my students to be more creative in my classroom. Also I would like to better develop digital learning and appropriate assessments.
To carry this out, the resources I will need include the flip cameras as I had discussed earlier. Also my students will need to upload the footage into a computer so we can view it together to use it as a critiquing aide for the weightlifting unit that I want to integrate it into. We could get creative with this by using Windows Movie maker and allowing my students some time to edit their footage and even put it to music. I have to be cautious though about how much stationary educational time we are spending versus kinesthetic which is my number one priority.
To further incorporate more creative lessons I have been utilizing the web and specifically physical education blogs. These offer great suggests as more and more teachers tap into 21st century learning. One in particular that has caught my eye is http://www.sparkpe.org/blog/. What do think? Am I getting closer to meeting my goals?
Joel Peterson


Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas. Baltimore: Author.
www.iste.org

5 comments:

  1. Joel,

    I love the idea of using flip cameras. I think this is a great way for students to be excited about what is going on in your classroom. Using the movie maker will also be a way for students to interact with the content and make connections as well. It looks as if you are right on track with meeting your goals!

    Linzie Humphrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel,

    I checked out the Sparks site you mentioned. It was exciting to see early childhood so prominently talked about. So many times when pre-k is housed in a public schools, they do not get access to special area teachers. It basically falls on the classroom teacher to teach them along with the core subjects. I liked the sound of the general description but wish they had included an example lesson. There is a lot of game and movement books out there. It would have been nice if they had shared what makes them unique to the rest.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie,

    What game and movement books are you familiar with? Since I now teach high school I am a little out of the loop.

    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joel,

    I think the one I use the most is entitled 5-Minutes Activities for 3 to 4 year olds. Most of the games can be done is a small space and requires very few props. My students like the Animal Game the best. They get to imitate the movements and sounds of animals as I call out the names or show a picture. I usually do this at the beginning and end of our animal unit to gauge their understanding of the animals we have studied. Kind of like a visual KWL chart.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie,

    Thanks. I will file those away if I ever move back to teaching elementary again.

    Joel

    ReplyDelete