Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Constructivism in Practice
Constructivism is supported by the fact that “integrating technology into instruction tends to move classrooms from teacher-dominated environments to ones that are more student-centered.”(Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. 2007) Likewise, “project based learning is an instructional approach built upon authentic learning activities that engage student interests and motivation.” (Project Based Learning 2009) My goal as a high school physical education teacher is to accomplish both of these simultaneously.
At the beginning of each semester I begin my entry level PE classes with helping students gain confidence in their classmates and themselves because they may be meeting each other for the first time. I do this through physical activities such as trust falls, human knots and other problem solving activities. These procedures allow students time to get to know each other before they will begin competing in organized sports both with and against each other. My thoughts, since beginning this degree and learning more about principles of cognitive learning theory is that I could do this, but also take it one step further and incorporate technology. 21st century students such as mine would love to video these activities and turn it into a video clip. They enjoy youtube and podcasts and this would promote “students working together toward a common goal” which is what project based learning is. (Project Based Learning 2009)


(2009, March 21). Project Based Learning. Retrieved from http://pbl-online.org/About/whatisPBL.htm.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD

4 comments:

  1. Joel,
    This is Tami Phipps. I show up under a different account because that is the only one that works with these blogs. I think your students would love to do the video clips and podcasts. It would fit perfectly in with PBL. Anytime you can video kids, they love it. Having them work together like you do is a great idea. I believe that students need to know they have to work with other people in pretty much every aspect of their lives. Good for you, Joel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel,
    I have recently offered my students extra credit to create a multimedia assignment based on the documentary Hubble, it is based on the final repairs made on Hubble Telescope in 2009. I can see how your students would be excited about creating projects such as Youtube videos and podcasts because mine were very excited even though I was not offering any class time to work on their project. What learning will your students be demonstrating in their videos or podcasts?

    Jean-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tami! The further I get into earning this degree, the more it becomes second nature to incorporate these ideas! I just wish I had more resources in my district for technology.
    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean-Marie,
    Your project sounds cool. I was aiming it torwards the demonstration of teamwork, and everyone getting the same results through different approaches, which we could then find similarities and differences in (this is a district-wide goal of ours).
    Joel

    ReplyDelete