Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Connectivism and Social Learning in Practice

Exploring various instructional strategies is crucial in meeting the needs of all of my learners in my classroom. Through my coursework this week I found many ways to integrate cooperative learning as an instructional strategy that aligns with social learning theories. Likewise, tying in technology at the same time allows me to engage my students on a 21st learning level. “To be prepared for the fast-paced, virtual workplace that they will inherit, today’s students needs to be able to learn and produce cooperatively” (Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. 2007).

Students can do this specifically through a web tool known as Voice Thread. Voice Thread allows learners to conduct learning through creative projects. This tool enables them to upload images, add their voice, type text, create their own pictures and more. This can be incorporated in many areas of curriculum, to which I am currently creating my own Voice Thread that would be applicable in a physical education setting. (Laureate 2009)

Social learning does not have to be limited to the social interaction taking place between students in the physical presence of one another. Cooperative learning has taken a 21st century turn and I am excited by where it is going, and where we can take our students.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). 2009. Spotlight on Technology.[Motion picture]. Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology. Baltimore: Author

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joel,

    I have played softball competitively since I was young. Softball, like other team sports, requires athletes to play cooperatively. It require girls to work together to produce an out or run. I have learned very young that I cannot do either of these without my teammates’ assistance. Naturally, I have taken this to the classroom and my everyday life. I utilize people and work cooperatively because I see the importance and what working as a team can accomplish. Do you find that students who play cooperative sports generally do better in the class when required to work within a group than students who don’t?

    I also wanted to ask you more about your PE classes. Do you have access to technology such as computers during your PE classes, or do you have to request it? I find it very interesting and helpful if you did because you could incorporate many of the skills classroom teachers are teaching, such as graphing data.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Joel,

    This is Tami Phipps from class. I am not sure how this reply will get to you. I sometimes have to use a different account to get the message through. I would love to hear how you use cooperative learning with your PE students. I bet you have some very interesting activities for them to do. I was wondering about your access to computers and saw Danielle's reply to your comment. How often do you get to use technology with your students? How do you think you could use this voice thread with them? Oh, I tried to find the posting for your voice thread, but it is not showing up. I hope I am not doing something wrong, because I would love to see it. I know it is Sunday and we are supposed to be wrapping things up, but if there is a way for you to send it again, I would appreciate it. Thanks so much and I hope you are having a good Easter!

    Tami P.

    ReplyDelete