Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Helping my students create a GAME plan

After revisiting the International Society for Technology in Education website I could see how closely the teacher technology goals and student goals are related. For the past weeks of a current master course I have centered my classroom around improving upon two goals in order to better integrate technology into my physical education classroom. I did this using a GAME plan strategy which stands for:
G-Goals
A-Actions
M-Monitor
E-Evaluate (Laureate 2009).

Now as I look at the technology standards for students:
Creativity and Innovation
Communication and Collaboration
Research and Information Fluency
Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making
Digital Citizenship
I would like to help them develop their own GAME plan in my classroom. I believe with my help they can set goals, carry out actions, monitor their personal progress and evaluate their learning in anyone of these areas, but I would like to concentrate on Critical Thinking, Problem Solving and Decision Making. I believe these are essential 21st century skills that can be applied anywhere in life. I would like to challenge them to a physical fitness problem, but one that is within their reach and have them develop a game plan. Maybe this could look something like a unit on better nutrition. Using technology they could utilize digital resources such as calories counters, pedometers, BMI meters, etc. to make them more aware. We could gauge their progress for several weeks outside of class and see what lifestyle changes they make based on these tools they are working with.

GAME plans and meeting technology standards can only enhance my physical education classroom. This is just one of the many ways that I can envision how.

Joel Peterson



Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Spotlight on Technology: Problem-Based Learning, Part 1. [Educational video]. Baltimore: Author.
www.iste.org

4 comments:

  1. Joel,

    I like where you plan on going with your first physical fitness challenge. Learning how to monitor one's nutritional intake is not only a good school project, but one that pertains to their lives outside of school. Because of this connection, students will hopefully take pride in their assignment and work to achieve their personal physical fitness goal. After completing this project, perhaps students will continue to find uses for developing a GAME plan both in and out of school. Like you said, this is a wonderful setup for any challenge one may face, no matter where they are or what they may be doing in life.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,

    Thank you for seeing the value in what I am teaching. Many times students approach my class with the attitude that it is just gym. However, I am trying to teach them tools for life. Without your health, what do you have?

    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joel,
    Focusing on nutrition is key to tackling the problem of obesity. There are many tools that can inform students about the foods they are eating and help them monitor their nutrition and exercise choices. Anytime someone decides to make a positive lifestyle change, it essentially involves a GAME plan. As Jennifer said, by having your students do such an activity, you are giving them tools for all areas of their lives.
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joel,

    I think I was thinking the same thing you were when I thougth about implementing the GAME Plan with my students; it can be used is so much more that simply incorporating 21st century skills. I mean, it is a great way to help our students become 21st century learners, but it seems like another great way for students to set goals for themselves and then monitor and work toward achieving them. I think you had a great idea for students to examine their nutrition and lifestyle using the GAME Plan. Great idea.

    Casey

    ReplyDelete