Sunday, December 6, 2009

Profiling the Students of Today

Below you will find a podcast of interviews I conducted with individuals at the school in which I teach in Ohio. Throughout this process I gained insight into how much technology is used by the students I teach, as well as a teacher I teach with. "Today's students, the 'digital natives' as they are sometimes called, are practically inseparable from their computers, video games, and the Internet" (Miners & Pascopella 2007). This proves true for the students that I interviewed.

Today's digital learners are divided into two distinct categories of digital immigrants and digital natives. According to Marc Prensky, digital natives refers to those students who have grown up in a technology-rich world, while digital immigrants refer to those who were adapting to new technology along the way. (Laureate, 2008) The students that I interviewed can most likely be labeled as digital immigrants due to the households they were born into with the technology that was there and impressed upon them.

In my opinion many factors effect a learner being categorized as an immigrant or a native including age and economic status. My recent interviews support my findings.


Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). 2008. Digital Native vs. Digital Immigrant.[Motion picture]. Understanding the Impact of Technology on Education, Work, and Society. Baltimore: Author.


Miners, Z., & Pascopella, A. (2007). The new literacies. District Administration, 43(10), 26–34.
Used by permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment